Wednesday 18 January 2012

savage beauty - inspiration. ALEXANDRE MCQUEEN



"Alexandre McQueen shows are known for their emotional power and raw energy, as well as the romantic but determinedly contemporary nature of the collections." - "McQueen culture is the juxtaposition between contrasting elements: fragility and strength, tradition and modernity, fluidity and severity." - "An openly emotional and even passionate viewpoint is realised with a profound respect and influence for the arts and crafts tradition. Alexander's collections combine an in-depth working knowledge of bespoke British tailoring, the fine workmanship of the French Haute Couture atelier and the impeccable finish of Italian manufacturing. "

 

I absolutely adore Alexandre McQueen's collections, along with Sarah Burton's design collections along side him and the take over after his tragic death. His work is soulful, elegant, it magnifies a sense of opulence and richness that is only found in these aesthetical couture pieces of fashion. As much as I love high fashion, what draws me to McQueen is that he makes his fashion more aesthetical rather than wearable - to showcase his designs. It isn't about wearing the pieces on an elegant evening out, it's about showcasing his creativity and imagination to reveal something beautifully outstanding and remarkable to a persons aesthetic eye, and this is what hones in on my aesthetic eye.

McQueen work constitutes designs of an artist whose medium is expressed through fashion - said Thomas P. Campbell, Director of The Metropolitan Museum of Art. As the college 'Savage Beauty' was showcased there. Like myself, when doing my Fine Art A-Level, I have expressed my artistic ways through mixed media of different mediums and I think I have found my medium which is through fashion. I feel it is through fashion because I am so powerfully inspired by McQueens work that I look at it and think 'this is something I know I can create'. Deep down I know I have the ability to develop skills and artistically grow to create beautiful pieces of fashion that aren't seen today. I want to create aesthetic pieces to showcase, not to wear, because that's where I feel my most outstanding work will come from. Therefore I plan to develop my skills by hoping to get accepted into a fashion course at University.
When I look at these close ups of the texture, colour and design of his couture I am in awe at the beauty of them. The way the silver metal design cascades up towards the models face, or the way texture has been created on the nude corsage - almost in style of historical curtains or rugs. Time has been passed through fashion and in contempary fashion, elements of history is showcased on the garments. For example, the photograph above of the moscaic canopy created as a dress is magnificently creative! How one can have an idea to create such a beautiful thing out of mosaic plates, almost as if they have been smashed up to create texture and structure, is inspiring and shows dedication to have ambitions of showing elements of history and savage beauty.  





From a Vogue UK magazine, I found an article about Sarah Burton and her new 2012 Collection. I ink dyed and french polished the page of a certain dress published to create a more 'savage' and 'decay' to such a beautiful dress. I wanted to experiment and do this because McQueen is known for recurring themes and concepts which begin with 'The Romantic Mind' and we examine his subversion of structured, traditional tailoring and dress making through the deconstruction displacement that he emphasises through his work. The term 'Romantic Gothic' and 'Earthly Darkness' I believe highlights McQueens approach to Fashion. It also illuminates his engagement with Romantic literary traditions such as death, decay, and darkness. Further galleries feature the themes Romantic Naturalism, Romantic Primitivism, and Romantic Exoticism, as well as a Cabinet of Curiosities.  From my previously posted 'Neo-Romanticism' extract, McQueen also captures that through his structure, texture, colours and ways of creating savage romanticism in Fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment